[Flac-dev] wav to flac corruption

Matthew Davis zasdarq at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:54:49 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm attempting to convert fairly large WAV files (90 - 800 MB each) using
flac but the files do not work after the encoding. (The play fine in wav
format)

Command I'm using:

flac --verify -8 file.wav

Attempting to run the file with either flac123 or the default player for
Ubuntu (Movie Player?) results in the extremely terse messages:
Default Player: "An Error Occurred: Could Not Decode Stream"
flac123: "error handler called!" <- repeated over and over and over

There are no errors during the encoding, though there are some warnings.
Here is the output:

asdarq at eighty-desktop:~$ flac -f -8 --verify 10_A.wav

10_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'bext' (use
--keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: WARNING: legacy WAVE file has format type 1 but bits-per-sample=24
10_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'minf' (use
--keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'elm1' (use
--keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: 100% complete, ratio=0.62410_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown
sub-chunk 'regn' (use --keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'ovwf' (use
--keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'umid' (use
--keep-foreign-metadata to keep)
10_A.wav: Verify OK, wrote 168060055 bytes, ratio=0.624

As a final random test, I attempted to split one of the wav files (my
ultimate goal is split flac files) using wavsplit.  That resulted in the
following output/error.

Channels: 1
Samplerate: 96000Hz
Samplebits: 24
Databytes: 269503836

Split         Hours  Mins   Seconds         Bytes         %
Bad file format

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide me!  I've never used a
mailing list before... will I just receive any replies automatically back to
this email?  If I won't, I'd really appreciate it if someone directly
emailed me (zasdarq at gmail.com) to tell me how to check it.

Thank you again,
Matthew