[Flac-dev] Re: Website

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Mon Dec 6 16:05:30 PST 2004

From: "Arc" <arc at Xiph.org>
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 12:33:19PM -0600, Paul Bryson wrote:
>>
>> The second would be for projects that want to maintain their old design.
>> This involves the simple addition of a "banner" across the top that
>> contains some type of Xiph branding.  This would be a lot like what is at
>> the top of http://www.speex.org/
>
> I don't want to see us become a monolithic "pod culture".  A banner at
> the top, as we've done in the past, is thus a good plan IMHO.

What's wrong with a pod culture?  People turn their heads when you say "I
pod."

> I also feel it important to seperate "technical" from "public".  I'd
> like, ie, ogg.org to be used for a public outreach site, ala mp3.com.
> Much like what vorbis.com is being used for now.

Fine, but that could be an entirely different project.  Honestly none of the
projects have anything that resembles a page like that, they are all
essentially technical pages.  I am talking about consolidating existing
pages into a single system.

> I think that vorbis.com/.org, theora.org, etc should be media outlet
> sites.  Splash and boom, look how awesome it is!  This is how you use
> it!  Wow, look at all this software.  ogg.org could be a frontend for
> this.

Great.

> xiph.org should have technical information and project updates.  Ala
> "Ogg Traffic".  The sites you are working on so far look just like that
> - information on Xiph, why we do what we do, press outreach, mailing
> lists, how to contribute, bugtracker, wiki...

Right, all of the technical information currently spread out over several
project websites with different formats and layouts.

The wait has already lasted years to get this done.  Give me the go, and I
could have it up in a week.

Atamido