[Flac-dev] ACM codec

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Mon Jan 28 06:19:03 PST 2002

Hello everyone,

I was just browsing through some video capturing websites/forums and saw some
people complain that there was no lossless codec available to encode audio in
AVI files. I thought that FLAC would have one but it doesn't seem to be the case.

As it's a popular demand (now that hard drives are inexpensive, people can
record hours of video/audio without any loss and then compress to their
preferred format) I thought I could/should help on this one.

I'm currently working on the ACM version of LAME (MP3 encoder) and since the
code architecture is ready I think it would be quite easy/fast to do the same
job on FLAC.

I saw on the website that the ACM was a work in progress, but have seen no other
mention anywhere else. So if someone is working on that I'm ready to help,
otherwise I'm ready to start it.

Also I could provide the necessary .dsw and .dsp to compile FLAC in Visual
Studio (and which may use the Intel Compiler which is much more efficient on
that kind of subject).

cya