[Flac-dev] FLAC as part of the Ogg project?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 15:47:02 PST 2002

--- Christer Palm <palm at nogui.se> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>

> > As I understand it, the current Ogg/FLAC implementation simply
> wraps the Ogg
> > bitstream format around a normal FLAC stream, thus not utilizing
> the
> > features of Ogg, and duplicating various bookkeeping data.  If the
> Ogg folks
> > were to spec out a FLAC-based codec for Ogg, it would likely look
> different
> > from the current implementation.
> >

> Right.
>
> And to "fix" that in the reference implementation, the API would
> probably need to expose a new layer of functionality below the
> "stream"
> abstraction, so that frame headers and subframes could be processed
> separately outside the FLAC stream context.
>
> Making that change would also open up a whole new world of
> possibilities
> of encapsulating FLAC frames in various stream formats.
>

> I'd be happy to put some effort into making that happen, but after
> having looked at the code as it currently stands I realize that this
> would require some quite substantial changes, and it would probably
> be
> wise to have an open discussion about whether and how such a change
> should be implemented before hacking away on it. What is your opinion
>
> about this, Josh?

I'd be interested in hearing what you have in mind.

As far as FLAC being part of the Ogg project... first I
think Monty still has an idea of redoing Squish someday;
but vorbis is lot of work and maybe he will eventually
settle for FLAC.  Second, it may not be much of a roadblock
but I don't plan on switching to a BSD license.  Maybe that
means separate codebases, maybe that means a reimplementation.