[Flac-dev] possible format change

Larry Fenske larry at towanda.com
Mon Mar 26 06:56:08 PST 2001

> JC> After doing a lot of automated seek testing on files, it looks like
> JC> the length of the sync code (currently 9 bits) is not long enough to
> JC> enable a really robust AND efficient seek algorithm.  Lengthening the
> JC> sync code will require a format change (i.e. FLAC <0.8 streams won't
> JC> play back on FLAC >>0.9 decoders), so I'm sending this message out to
> JC> see if there is any "NO DON'T DO IT!" kind of feedback from users.
>
> i think you should change format 'cause everyone was warned about
> possible format change and noone uses flac for archiving now.
> while it's beta we should just test and improve format.
> it'll be harder to do later and tail of compability patches
> can make format too complicated.
> ~~~~~~
> andrei

I also think you should change the format now, and I *do* use FLAC
for archiving.  When I write FLAC files to tape, I also write the
FLAC program(s) I used for the archive.  Before removing the original,
I verify that uncompressing the FLAC file gives me back the original.

It's much better to change the format now than after 1.0.  FLAC files
from 0.4, 0.5, and 0.6 can't be uncompressed with the same program, so
there's no reason to expect 0.8 and 0.9 or 0.9 and 1.0 to be compatible.
However, all 1.x versions should have a compatible format.

Now is the time.

Larry Fenske