[Flac-dev] possible format change

Andrey Astafiev andrei at tvcell.ru
Sun Mar 25 21:48:15 PST 2001

JC> After doing a lot of automated seek testing on files, it looks like
JC> the length of the sync code (currently 9 bits) is not long enough to
JC> enable a really robust AND efficient seek algorithm.  Lengthening the
JC> sync code will require a format change (i.e. FLAC <0.8 streams won't
JC> play back on FLAC >>0.9 decoders), so I'm sending this message out to
JC> see if there is any "NO DON'T DO IT!" kind of feedback from users.

i think you should change format 'cause everyone was warned about
possible format change and noone uses flac for archiving now.
while it's beta we should just test and improve format.
it'll be harder to do later and tail of compability patches
can make format too complicated.

JC> While I'm at it I will probably add a frame-level CRC as a frame
JC> footer which will help decoders reject corrupted frames.

idea: maybe you'd add a key to encoder that will add stub for
id3v2 tag of specified size (just like for PADDING block).

~~~~~~
andrei
ICQ: 111725051