[Flac-dev] possible format change

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 12:15:57 PST 2001

After doing a lot of automated seek testing on files, it looks like
the length of the sync code (currently 9 bits) is not long enough to
enable a really robust AND efficient seek algorithm.  Lengthening the
sync code will require a format change (i.e. FLAC <0.8 streams won't
play back on FLAC >0.9 decoders), so I'm sending this message out to
see if there is any "NO DON'T DO IT!" kind of feedback from users.

While I'm at it I will probably add a frame-level CRC as a frame
footer which will help decoders reject corrupted frames.