[Flac-dev] ID3-style information

Asheesh Laroia paulproteus at technologist.com
Wed Mar 7 14:44:13 PST 2001

I have a CD collection of about 20 discs that I currently archive on my
hard disk in MP3 format.

No, I do not like lossy compression.  No, I do not like closed standards.
No, I do not like software patents (Fraunhofer).

In fact, I do not even need compression at this point, as my hard disk
capacity is greater than the sum total of the CDs' WAV-format sizes.

However, I need its ID3 information.  I need the client program (i.e.,
XMMS) to be able to look at a file and know its artist and title.  Those
are the only two required fields, as a matter of fact.

Generally, in order to program my MP3 files with appropriate information,
I use GRIP's built-in CDDB connectivity.  I would use the CDDB
connectivity for setting the information in FLAC as well.  If necessary, I
can write a wrapper that puts the information in a file through an outside
utility.  But I would need the outside utility, and I would need support
in FLAC.

I could use file names to approximate this, but XMMS would not be able to
manipulate the data in its display.

I would like to convert my collection to FLAC.  But I cannot until FLAC
has these features.  If it is not possible to directly 'borrow' ID3, then
system of similar use must be implemented.

Thank you for spending the time to develop this format and to listen to
me.

-- Asheesh Laroia.

PS: The tags I would like to see are [in no particular order]:

* Track Number
* Song Title
* Genre (perhaps with presets taken from ID3)
* Artist Name
* Album Title