[Flac-dev] ID3-style information

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 12:17:14 PST 2001

--- Asheesh Laroia <paulproteus at technologist.com> wrote:
> However, I need its ID3 information.  I need the client program
> (i.e.,
> XMMS) to be able to look at a file and know its artist and title.
> Those
> are the only two required fields, as a matter of fact.

flac (the decoder) 'supports' ID3 and ID3v2 tags by ignoring them.
The input plugins (including XMMS) 'support' only ID3v1 tags right
now by reading them and passing the info up to the player GUI.  So
you have either found a bug or are tagging .flac files with ID3v2
and not seeing the info in the player.

> Generally, in order to program my MP3 files with appropriate
> information,
> I use GRIP's built-in CDDB connectivity.  I would use the CDDB
> connectivity for setting the information in FLAC as well.  If
> necessary, I
> can write a wrapper that puts the information in a file through an
> outside
> utility.  But I would need the outside utility, and I would need
> support
> in FLAC.

I am avoiding tagging capabilities in flac since this is best
provided by another specialized program.  There are many such
programs; I have used id3ren successfully with Grip to do ID3v1
tags.