[Flac-dev] 1.0 candidate

collver at linuxfreemail.com collver at linuxfreemail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:56:32 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:10:15AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:
> --- collver at linuxfreemail.com wrote:
> > I just checked out the 1.0 candidate and ran autogen.sh
> > autoconf errored out so autogen.sh did not work and I had to run
> > automake
> > manually.  the autoconf error message was:
> > configure.in:145:               CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fomit-frame-pointer
> > -funroll-loops -finline-functions -Winline -DFLAC__INLINE=__inline__"
>
> thanks, there are a couple things like that I will fix today.
>
> > anyhow I ran configure and I went into src/libFLAC/ia32 and ran gmake
> >
> > I get the following error message:
> > libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from
> > `cpu_asm.nasm'
> >
> > I tried renaming the .nasm files to .s files and changing Makefile.am
> > accordingly.  (changed ".nasm.lo:" to ".s.lo:", changed
> > filename.nasm dependencies to .s) and it built fine.
> >
> > I tried changing the ".s.lo:" target to "%.lo: %.s" and it built
> > fine.
> >
> > Then I removed "--tag=CC" and it built fine.
>
> maybe this all being caused by recent changes in libtool.
> I'm kind of stuck because I want to release today.  probably
> I will revert back to what has worked for most people for the
> purposes of creating the source release, and we can make a
> more concrete patch in the near future.
>
> thanks for helping figure this out.

I continued using the same changes mentioned above (renamed .nasm to .s,
changed .s.lo: to %.lo: %.s, removed --tag=CC).

I reverted to the original rule to have nasm directly build the objects.
Here is the error message I got:
bash-2.05$ gmake
nasm -f elf -d OBJ_FORMAT_elf cpu_asm.s -o cpu_asm.lo
nasm -f elf -d OBJ_FORMAT_elf fixed_asm.s -o fixed_asm.lo
nasm -f elf -d OBJ_FORMAT_elf lpc_asm.s -o lpc_asm.lo
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -I./include -I ../../../include
-Wall -W -O3 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
-finline-functions -Winline -DFLAC__INLINE=__inline__ -g -O2  -o
libFLAC-asm.la   cpu_asm.lo fixed_asm.lo lpc_asm.lo
libtool: link: `cpu_asm.lo' is not a valid libtool object
gmake: *** [libFLAC-asm.la] Error 1

So it looks like maybe it would be a good idea to have libtool generate
the .lo files.  I apologise for doing all this at the last minute,

Ben