[Flac-dev] format & seeking

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 11:40:22 PST 2001

--- rantan at mailru.com wrote:
> you've been written that file format is frozen.
> does this mean that i'll be able to play files,
> commpressed today, say, 1-2 years after?

the format is both 'frozen' and 'beta' meaning that
as long as there is no bug that involves the format,
your files will play with later versions.  BUT,
there is a possiblity that while it's in beta, a
fix may break backward compatibility (it has happened
once before).  for the last few weeks I've been
expanding the test suite, writing streams that are
meant to stress the encoder, and scripts that encode
and test with many option combinations.  when that
whole process is done I will release the first
official version 1.0

> thereby the next question is coming.
> what kind of strategy do you plan to
> enable fast seeking?
> to write new seeking algoritm,
> or to add some data to .flac file.
>
> i ask of it because i want to write files on cd-r
> and so i'd like to know can i do this now or
> should wait until this problem will be solved.

a better search algorithm is one way.  I am toying
with the idea of adding an optional seek table
metadata block.  this would probably happen before
FLAC 1.0

I am estimating that 1.0 will be out in 1-2 months.