[Flac-dev] new SEEKTABLE block

Mike Wren mikew at etree.org
Sun Apr 15 10:02:03 PDT 2001

I first thought that it would be much better to create a single seek
standard for FLAC.  Then, I thought, why couldn't someone just create the
optional SEEKTABLE data after an initial encode, if they need this data?
Since the checksums are a part of the FLAC format (unlike Shorten), and
these checksums are on the data stream, not the metadata, so any additional
metadata shouldn't matter or change the internal checksums, right?

Then, while I was thinking about how this seek data would be used: Why not
just have the Winamp/XMMS plugin create this extra seek data on-the-fly?
This may be too CPU intensive, however.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness email... I'm more thinking (typing)
out loud than anything else... ;)

Mike Wren
Server Team, Webmaster
http://etree.org