[Flac-dev] new SEEKTABLE block

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 23:07:16 PDT 2001

I've checked in code that supports a new metadata block called
SEEKTABLE.  Basically, it is an optional, arbitrarily-long list
of seek points, by sample number and stream offset.  I also added
command-line options to flac so you can specify seek points by
specific sample number and/or a specific number of evenly-spaced
seek points.  The table cost about 18 bytes per seek point.

This seems to radically speed up seeks.  I should point out a
SEEKTABLE is optional; FLAC doesn't need it to seek but they can
help.  And 1% resolution within a stream only costs 1808 bytes.