[Xiph-Advocacy] lossless editor that can fade-in fade-out

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Fri Jul 3 13:10:33 PDT 2009

Ogg streams can be losslessly cut and recombined serially, certainly if you
cut off the crossfade parts of each, decode, mix with crossfade, re-encode,
you can do this with the only loss being in the crossfade section.  I don't
believe you can easily do this with vorbis regain.

It appears that, at least on Linux, Firefox 3.5's Ogg demuxer does not
support chained bitstreams as speced, so it may be a bit early to look at
these sort of tricks.  Better to use a lossless codec such as FLAC for
remixing.