[Advocacy] persuading mobile phone manufacturers to implement Vorbis support

Brian Zisk zisk at well.com
Fri May 11 06:22:37 PDT 2007

A few years ago patent research was done by a top law firm on behalf of
a large multinational corporation who was at that time employing several
Vorbis developers. The law firm did not believe that any of the patents
looked were infringed on by Vorbis, and the multinational was given the
go ahead by their legal counsel to continue developing Vorbis.

As for "whether any patents could possibly be violated", that is
impossible to know without a crystal ball as shown by Microsoft just
losing that lawsuit for well over $1 billion over their use of MP3.

Especially when compared to that, Xiph is on extremely solid ground. ;-)

-Brian