[Advocacy] persuading mobile phone manufacturers to implement Vorbis support

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Wed May 9 08:35:40 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
> Would you like to draft
> such a letter on the Xiph wiki?

We have the MailOgging[1] project on the wiki for this purpose.
Updating or creating a modified version of that may work.

> In the longer term, it would be useful to work together with groups
> like the W3C's Mobile Web Initiative (http://www.w3.org/Mobile/) and
> the Gnome Mobile and Embedded Initiative
> (http://www.gnome.org/mobile/) towards these goals.

I don't know about the Gnome MEI, but the W3C Mobile Web Initiative is
a joke and should not be considered.  Not only corporations like Nokia
don't bother with what the W3C says.  Alexander van Loon may be
surprised, but those corporations (including Nokia) implement things
on demand.  HTML?  OK.  MP3?  OK.  Vorbis?  They haven't seen a market
for Vorbis.  Not OK.

But at this stage, there won't be a market for Vorbis ever if most
devices out there don't start supporting out of the box.  Nokia may be
persuaded to do this, so I say we give it a shot.

-Ivo

[1] http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MailOgging