[Advocacy] Some Variations On A Vorbis Logo

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Mar 17 09:55:21 PST 2005

Hello,

We've cmmissioned and accepted new takes on the various logos already;
since this seems to be a popular way that people want to contribute,
it seems prudent to mention that before anyone spends alot of time on
a logo we're unlikely to use.  If that doesn't bother you, then feel
free to submit logos :-)

In terms of constructive criticism, my general feeling is that nearly
all of the logos that were in that batch were highly derivative of the
'Compact Disc - Digital Audio' trademark used on redbook CDs.  One of
the unusual things about Vorbis is that unlike many of the other well
known open source projects, it is not actually a clone of anything;
development occurred in parallel with the other systems, but the tech
it employs bears no resemblance to the other current 'state of the
art' music codecs.  A logo that makes people thing "Hm, I've seen that
before... oh!  It's the compact disc logo!' isn't the direction I'd
want to go.

In any case, the new website is coming and the new logos will be on
it.  If folks would like to contribute to the hard part (updating and
moving over content), we would certainly be ale to use solid
volunteers!

Monty