[advocacy] Ogg & Ogg Vorbis _unofficial_ logos page.

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Sun Oct 19 05:24:09 PDT 2003

> Standards that have logos so that the consumer knows they are
> approved   are:
>
> iLink, and the Firewire 'Y' logo
> USB (the root hub tree symbol on every cable and the italicized USB
>   writing on boxes)
> Any of the CD and DVD logos (CD with the word audio underneath. Or
>   recordable. Or whichever word matches the format of the disc.)

I actually went to a few consumer electronics stores yesterday to
check this out. Another killer logo that isn't on your list is the
Dolby sign, which I guess is meant to be two stylised 'D's back to
back. It's on just about every DVD player and home cinema amp.

Unbranded DVD players are now retailing here for 50 pounds sterling,
so I guess the market for audio-only players is dead. Hopefully these
largely Chinese-made players will adopt Ogg file support, as the
government there has indicated that it's not happy with the
foreign-ownership implications of MPEG and is looking for
alternatives.

Interestingly, I noticed neither MP3 nor WMA appears to have a
consistent logo on hardware, so there's some advantage for Ogg to be
had here. Or maybe it's that every time you put one of the official
Frauenhofer or Microsoft logos on a player you have to pay $5 per
unit for that as well...

Cheers

Daniel