[advocacy] Ogg & Ogg Vorbis _unofficial_ logos page.

Victor Marks victor at ripal.co.il
Fri Oct 17 10:31:10 PDT 2003

I'll chime in. I expect to get replies from folks who won't be
satisfied with my suggestion.

It is a new invention, applying branding to a standard which anyone may
use. This has only really come to exist in the past 15 years or so.

Standards that have logos so that the consumer knows they are approved
are:

iLink, and the Firewire 'Y' logo
USB (the root hub tree symbol on every cable and the italicized USB
writing on boxes)
Any of the CD and DVD logos (CD with the word audio underneath. Or
recordable. Or whichever word matches the format of the disc.)

All of these logos are uniform, plain, and can be printed on any box,
and yet are identifiable and plainly spell out what the standard is,
the possible exception from the above list being the confusion over
Firewire/iLink/DV, etc, where the connectors are all there, but you end
up looking for IEEE1394 just to make sure that it's the one you need.

A logo that accomplishes what the CD standard logos do (spell out which
kind of format it is) are great. A fish and a hammer and snake do not
do that.

The independence font is a great font, identifiable, and readable in
common romance language letters.

If you wish to choose a logo through a contest, submit to both slashdot
as well as some graphics arts sites, and ones that mac fans frequent.

Victor Marks