[advocacy] Metadata to streams

Beni Cherniavsky cben
Thu Jan 9 14:20:22 PST 2003

On 2003-01-09, gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:

> Gunnar bergman wrote:
> > I'm interested to know how to ID3-equivalent tagging
> > for OGG works.
>
> Check this out:
> http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.htm
>
> > Besides that, I'd like to know how much flexibility
> > there is in the tagging standard. Is it limited to
>
> There are a few proposed standard tags (see URL above), and you can
> define your own tags any way you want. You're virtually unlimited (the
> max. size of the tags' amount and content is extremely high), however,
> it makes sense not to abuse them. :)

The particular points which are considered "abuse" is storing data that
isn't human-readable and trying to impose complex structured relationsios
between tags.  The basic guideline is "meant to be used much like someone
jotting a quick note on the bottom of a CDR"; the tags should make sense
to a person recieving the file even if he is not aware of your
conventions.  That said, in some situations the best solution is to abuse
them. :)

> > - Name of station
> [...]
>
> You could adda whole new set of RADIO* tags. Just check out the rules
> from the docs, i.e. while tag contents can contain anything encodable in
> UTF-8, you're restricted in your choice of tag names.

See also http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html for an
unofficial extensive list of tags some people use.  I don't think it has
radio specific stuff but some of their tags might fit your "contact
information" needs...

Feel free to invent your own tags.  Feel free to notify the list of your
decisions in case somebody else will have similar needs...

Holy resolution for a holy war: the Torah stores most numbers as
little-endian (e.g. "seven and twenty and a hundred years")!