[advocacy] Metadata to streams

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jan 9 12:15:39 PST 2003

Gunnar bergman wrote:
> I'm interested to know how to ID3-equivalent tagging
> for OGG works.

Check this out:
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.htm

> At what level is it residing? Always in the container
> format, or within the codec stream? If it's the latter
> option, is it only implemented for Vorbis, or is it
> available for video too?

Those are Vorbis tags. I'm not quite sure about this right now, but
afair tagging on the Ogg level will be available with the new libogg
Monty's currently working on for Theora. The word I remember was
"revolutionary" or something ... ;)

> Besides that, I'd like to know how much flexibility
> there is in the tagging standard. Is it limited to

There are a few proposed standard tags (see URL above), and you can
define your own tags any way you want. You're virtually unlimited (the
max. size of the tags' amount and content is extremely high), however,
it makes sense not to abuse them. :)

> - Name of station
[...]

You could add a whole new set of RADIO* tags. Just check out the rules
from the docs, i.e. while tag contents can contain anything encodable in
UTF-8, you're restricted in your choice of tag names.

> And added to that - will it be possible of course to
> update these fields continuously, so that they aren't
> necessarily locked for the session?

I don't understand that question ... do you mean whether you can add and
remove any tags from an .ogg file any time you want? You can - nothing
is being "locked" during encoding time.