[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Fri Nov 8 03:30:55 PST 2002

>It doesn't say that on the CD. I think it's more a case of custom and
practice
>than legal rights. Only a tiny minority of artists have publicly advocated
>home taping or copying - the usual example being the Grateful Dead, who only
>encouraged taping of live performances, not records as far as I know.

Unfortunately, the whole of copyright law is not laid out on the cover of
every CD. Whether it is because of space constaints or to avoid printing
the words "fair use" on the CD is anybody's guess. In any case; yes, my
views are a little extreme however if the labels had their way there would
be no fair-use.

Most of what "fair use" grants us can be extrapolated from the cases
involving time-shifting and space-shifting (VCR's and MP3 player cases).
The courts decided that yes, you do have the right to   make copies for use
at a later time, and yes you have the right to view/listen to copyrighted
material you have purchased in any format you can put the material in.

The first thing I'm going to do if/when I buy music by DRM is strip out the
DRM and save the remaining data for both "later use", and "in the format I
wish it to be in".

Granted my plan of burning off a hundred or so CDs and coating my walls
with nothing but copies of copyrighted materials (just cause I can) will
need to be tested in court, but a man can dream can't he?

-vance