[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Nov 8 03:11:34 PST 2002

> The courts decided that yes, you do have the right to   make copies for use
> at a later time, and yes you have the right to view/listen to copyrighted
> material you have purchased in any format you can put the material in.

Again, these are not global rights, and laws such as DMCA negate any rights
for future media formats. There's little point in asserting legal rights
which you are prevented from carrying out by the same body of law.

Fortunately, I think Palladium will be extremely unpopular with end users and
will jeopardise sales of the Pentium 5 or 6, or whatever. I suspect rival
chip makers will produce non-DRM devices that will be the final blow to the
PC design.

But that still leaves the orginal problem: how do we align artist and listener
interests and promote a free audio format? So far, I don't believe anyone has
come up with a better proposal than the implementation of ISRC tagging
already in the Vorbis spec.

Maybe the ISRC tag would have to be signed somehow, to help establish
authenticity. But changing a tag could only benefit another ISRC member, who
would then be banned from the system. Signing could be a mark of quality
though - using encryption for a positive purpose would mean there was little
point in breaking it.

Cheers

Daniel