[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Nov 6 08:09:55 PST 2002

> >Only if you're the copyright holder.
>
> Wrong. When I buy a CD I get to make a back-up copy. I get to make Oggs for
> my hardrive, mp3s for my portable player, back-up CD for both in case of
> hardware failure, and another CD copy just cause I can't get enough of
> those tunes. 'Tis my right.

Not wrong. Read the small print on the back of the CD case. If you do make a
million CD-R's I'm sure you'll have the copyright police on your case -
difficult to argue that they would all be for personal use...

> If a technology stops this from taking place it
> is depriving me of my rights.

Which rights are these? Have you tested them in court? Don't forget that the
likes of the WTO are imposing global controls on 'intellectual property'.

> >Or are you suggesting that there's no
> >difference to the artist between fans making individual free copies for
> >friends, and a commercial entity undercutting legit music labels by using
> >cheaper production and not paying royalties?
>
> Not so much to the artist, but it must to the labels given their recent
> tantrums and breaking of toys.

I think the truth is that it's much easier to blame and bully listeners, given
that the big 'pirates' are out of reach for the time being. And the major
labels are just upset because p2p has interfered with their vision of a
pay-to-play download system - one that would double profits by cutting out
the music retailer.

Cheers

Daniel