[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Wed Nov 6 19:58:02 PST 2002

>Not wrong. Read the small print on the back of the CD case. If you do make a
>million CD-R's I'm sure you'll have the copyright police on your case -
>difficult to argue that they would all be for personal use...

True it would be hard to justify, but if every copy I made was present and
accounted for I would be only exercising my rights.

>Which rights are these? Have you tested them in court? Don't forget that the
>likes of the WTO are imposing global controls on 'intellectual property'.

When I buy copyrighted material with the permission of the copyright holder
I have the right to make copies for personal use. It would be hard to
justify taking that right away from me.

>I think the truth is that it's much easier to blame and bully listeners,
given
>that the big 'pirates' are out of reach for the time being. And the major
>labels are just upset because p2p has interfered with their vision of a
>pay-to-play download system - one that would double profits by cutting out
>the music retailer.

"Their vision", Bullshit. They never had any vision. "Vision" is a view of
the present and future. All they have is hindsight, going on what's worked
for them in the past.

So lets have a little history lesson shall we?

When mp3 piracy was in its infancy people could only get them from web
sites and ftp servers. Someone would set up a site with a dozen or so mp3s
of their choosing and the people who wanted those songs would download
them. The RIAA was worked to the bone trying to send "Cease and Desist"
letters to all this people and the sites where being taken down almost as
fast as they where being setup.

I downloaded a few from a site named "Ducttape's mp3s", the next week the
site was down with the usual "I got a C&D" message, but along side that was
the site maintainers opinion that this technology would help the labels
make more money if only they would just stop fighting it. I thought the man
was full of *it frankly. I knew what we where doing with mp3 and that it
amounted to nothing more then piracy. However 6-12 months or more later
Shawn Fanning lets the genie out of the bottle and changed everything. And
NOW the label's finally want to make a pay-to-play service? Too little, too
late.

In retrospect if the labels had used those resources spent on bullying
sites down to make a proper service. Then maybe P2P would stand for
pay-to-play, instead of peer-to-peer. But no, they where to busy fighting
the technology with their heads up their butts. You can't unmake the idea
of Napster, P2P file sharing is likely here to stay. It was born from the
needs and wants of a consumer base. If the labels had any vision at all
their pay-to-play service would have rolled out long before Napster and
killed it simple by not letting the needs of the populace got unsatified
for so long. P2P file sharing is an unstoppable demon and its the label's
ignorance to the needs of their consumers that gave birth to it.

Ducttape was right after all. I never felt so good to be proven wrong. The
labels are now learning that hindsight is 20/20 which makes living with
past mistakes an eternal b*tch.

-vance

"My world is ending.
I wish /