[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Wed Nov 6 08:13:27 PST 2002

>Only if you're the copyright holder.

Wrong. When I buy a CD I get to make a back-up copy. I get to make Oggs for
my hardrive, mp3s for my portable player, back-up CD for both in case of
hardware failure, and another CD copy just cause I can't get enough of
those tunes. 'Tis my right. If a technology stops this from taking place it
is depriving me of my rights.

>Or are you suggesting that there's no
>difference to the artist between fans making individual free copies for
>friends, and a commercial entity undercutting legit music labels by using
>cheaper production and not paying royalties?

Not so much to the artist, but it must to the labels given their recent
tantrums and breaking of toys.

-vance