[advocacy] Interview with Jack Moffitt

Segher Boessenkool segher at chello.nl
Tue May 21 07:09:13 PDT 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:

> Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > > Talking about forwards compatibility ... The RC3 encoder was originally
> > > supposed to produce peelable .ogg files. AFAIR, it does just that, but
> > > the way how Vorbis streams are going to be peeled in the future has
> > > changed. There seem to be much better ways than the initial method, so
>
> > RC3 encoded files are perfectly well peelable, but if you peel by 50% or
> > more (roughly) it won't sound very good.  I'm writing a tool that will
> > switch a stereo stream to mono;  that will help more, I hope :)
>
> Yeah, I think that was what I just said ;) But i am almost 100% sure
> that Monty mentioned something about altering the whole thing some more
> so peeling can be done easier/better/..., and that this new method
> doesn't work on RC3 encoded files? I'd like to clearify this to prevent
> another pack of false rumors to come up. :P

Well, I clarified that peeling by, say, 30% works fine/satisfactory already.
This is enough for making your files a little smaller for listening to them
on your handheld devices.

If I understand correctly, Monty talked about using different encoding
parameters (i.e., codebooks etc.), which will make better quality peeling
easier.  This is all _encoding side_, so yes, only newly encoded streams will
reap the benefit of this.

Segher