[advocacy] Interview with Jack Moffitt

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Tue May 21 06:58:23 PDT 2002

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Talking about forwards compatibility ... The RC3 encoder was originally
> > supposed to produce peelable .ogg files. AFAIR, it does just that, but
> > the way how Vorbis streams are going to be peeled in the future has
> > changed. There seem to be much better ways than the initial method, so

> RC3 encoded files are perfectly well peelable, but if you peel by 50% or
> more (roughly) it won't sound very good.  I'm writing a tool that will
> switch a stereo stream to mono;  that will help more, I hope :)

Yeah, I think that was what I just said ;) But i am almost 100% sure
that Monty mentioned something about altering the whole thing some more
so peeling can be done easier/better/..., and that this new method
doesn't work on RC3 encoded files? I'd like to clearify this to prevent
another pack of false rumors to come up. :P