Mail etiquette and iTunes: Was: [advocacy] Audacity

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Feb 14 12:03:51 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 07:58:31AM -0500, L Victor Marks wrote:
> I wonder if there are hooks in iTunes for OS X ( and MacOS 9) to get Ogg
> encoding and decoding into iTunes...

Hi,

First off, *please* don't just ignore subject lines, or reply to
messages that have nothing to do with what you're about to say.  I
don't know what mailreaders are like under Windows or Mac, but
sophisticated UNIX mail readers (ie, we've been here the longest, we
have the most useful/weird features) 'thread' conversations, and quite
a few of us have our mail readers set up to totally ignore threads
we've previously marked as uninteresting.  Landing a message like this
in the middle of a totally different conversation which many of the
core folk have marked as 'uninteresting' will just get you ignored.
We'll never see your mail.  We get hundereds of messages a day, and
list mail simply has to take a low priority through batch handling
like that.

BTW, just editing the subject line is *not* enough to keep your
message out of a thread if you hit 'reply'.  A seperate header is
embedded in the message called 'In-Reply-To'.  At a guess, the pretty
graphical mail readers don't let you edit it, or even tell you that
it's there.  If you want to start a new conversation, hit 'New
Message' please.  Not 'Reply'.

'uninteresting', I've simply already been a user of that package for a
long time ;-]

> That would be a real win, get the user to make one selection for Ogg
> encoding, and as they use iTunes to rip to HDD, it would all be in Ogg.
> The only downside is, the iPod doesn't do Ogg AFAIK.

The QuickTime components listed on the front page of Vorbis.com *do*
work in iTunes.  However, iTunes has a bug: Only files ending in .mov
are allowed to use Quicktime.  iTunes was not, in fact, written by
Apple, and it's the only QuickTime app we know of with this problem.
If you install the Quicktime components and rename all your .ogg files
to .mov, iTunes plays Ogg.  This is one of the better examples of
'What the Hell were they thinking?!" that we've run across recently
;-)

Monty