[advocacy] Fwd: Re: Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis

Daniel James daniel
Tue Sep 25 06:52:34 PDT 2001

Subject: Re: Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis
Date: Tue Sep 25 06:52:34 2001
From: "acidfanatic" <acidfanatic at alienalchemy.com>
To: "Daniel James" <daniel at mondodesigno.com>

> Excellent! I like the free loops - that implies you want people to
> make music, not just passively 'consume' it, which is good to hear
> about.

Yes that's the idea and only the Ogg Vorbis format compresses high
quality without adding silence to the beginning or ending of the
sound file. The MP3 format adds silence which noone will notice if
they just play complete songs but any musician trying to collaborate
or share tracks/loops/takes will notice when they play the track
back with other tracks. This problem with MP3 file format has made
loop sharing through the net a pain which is why people still use
raw wave files which suck up way too much bandwidth.

So one very big selling point of OGG Vorbis is that it does not add
silence to the beginning or ending of the audio file which makes it
much more useful for pro music applications where timing is
everything.

acidfanatic
http://acidfanatic.com