[advocacy] Re: your arcticle is all fine and dandy but

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Sep 19 03:33:47 PDT 2001

Daniel James wrote:
> > Now you create something that virtually no one can use.
> Anyone can download the player or the plugins

Almost every player supports OGG either natively or via Plugins. The
most important player for Windows, Winamp, will support OGG Vorbis in
the standard installation in its next release version.

> > cant burn a
> > cd from it.
> I haven't tried making a CD from .ogg files but I'm sure there must
> be a way, even if it's just recording through the soundcard from the
> ogg player to a wav recording program.

CD burning softwares don't support direct burning of OGG Vorbis files at
the moment (afaik), except for maybe the one or the other more exotic
and rarely used program. Nevertheless, seen from the information
dripping out of the vorbis mailing lists, several software manufacturers
at least plan to support OGG in the near future, at least when v1.0 is
released.

Anyways, this is no problem for those who know how to use Winamp's
diskwriter and ogg123 '-d wav' switch. I am sure, several other players
have similar functionality.

> > Make us use the piece of crap Microsoft media player.
> I use ogg123 myself.

Remember that Sonique, for example, supports OGG Vorbis natively for a
long time now. There's no reason to panic because of a lack of players.

> > I want something I can make a cd of and
> > play in players like mp3 players. there arent any .ogg player
> > (portable) never will be.
> Actually I think there will be ogg hardware players, since
> manufacturers can support the format without paying royalties.

Hardware manufacturers appear to be slow in supporting new formats. I
remember at least one manufacturer (from a mail in the vorbis mailing
list), who will support OGG before supporting MP3pro "thanks" to the
high licensing fees of MP3pro. This makes me confident that we can all
look forward to play our OGG files away from home some day.

Moritz