[advocacy] Re: your arcticle is all fine and dandy but

Jack Moffitt jack
Wed Sep 19 07:38:15 PDT 2001

> CD burning softwares don't support direct burning of OGG Vorbis files at
> the moment (afaik), except for maybe the one or the other more exotic
> and rarely used program.

Sonic Foundry SIREN support burning Oggs and so does Media Jukebox, both
listed right at vorbis.com.  Already people are starting to contact Nero
and others.

> > > Make us use the piece of crap Microsoft media player.
> > I use ogg123 myself.
>
> Remember that Sonique, for example, supports OGG Vorbis natively for a
> long time now. There's no reason to panic because of a lack of players.

For a long time the most FAQ was "Will it work in Windows Media Player".
Now it does :) Kinda funny now that we get flak for that.

> > > I want something I can make a cd of and
> > > play in players like mp3 players. there arent any .ogg player
> > > (portable) never will be.

Certainly a number of people _do_ own and use the iomega HipZip for
playing Ogg file.

> Hardware manufacturers appear to be slow in supporting new formats. I
> remember at least one manufacturer (from a mail in the vorbis mailing
> list), who will support OGG before supporting MP3pro "thanks" to the
> high licensing fees of MP3pro. This makes me confident that we can all
> look forward to play our OGG files away from home some day.

Remember that hw manufacturers don't like upgrading.  They want Vorbis
1.0 or nothing apparently.  We should really step up our advocacy
efforts in the hardware community once 1.0 is shipped.

jack.