[advocacy] Xiph Foundation

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Sep 5 21:16:26 PDT 2001

> I want to give money, having been recently dissed by RealNetworks.
> I can use credit card, PayPal, cheque or money order.
> However, it's going to cost me a bundle to call long distance.
> Could the patronage info and forms be placed online
> or can you supply a contact email address?

You can contact me directly if you want, but I'll put the information
here for everyone to read.

Right now we can only accept donations by check.  Please make them out
to Xiph.org Foundation, and mail them to:

Patrick Mahoney
Xiph.org Foundation
114 Lighthouse Dr.
Jupiter, FL  33469

Paypal and other forms of payment will be available soon.  And if all
goes well with the applications, donations will be tax deductible (and
if I understand the paperwork correctly, retroactively).

> Secondly, the About webpage waxes eloquently on the Tragedy of the Commons
> and proffers Open Source as saviour.  I disagree: if software doesn't have
> a GPL-compatible licence, it is vulnerable to languishing and attrition.
> Open Source can be proprietary as Sun has shown, and BSD licensed works
> have been taken up by Microsoft-like entities and forked away.
> It seems to me that the spirit of your mission is embodied better by
> the Free Software philosophy, so why not embrace it openly?

We are big believers in Free Software, and it's ashame that didn't come
through on that page.  This project was started for reasons of Freedom
so maybe we just thought that part was obvious :)

Thanks for your interest.

jack.