[advocacy] Xiph Foundation

Krishna E. Bera keb at Cyblings.ON.CA
Wed Sep 5 21:15:04 PDT 2001

Hi!

The 20 August 2001 press release says this about the Foundation:

> For more information on the Xiph.org Foundation and to discuss corporate
> or personal support for the Foundation's work, contact Patrick Mahoney at
> 415-235-5645.

I want to give money, having been recently dissed by RealNetworks.
I can use credit card, PayPal, cheque or money order.
However, it's going to cost me a bundle to call long distance.
Could the patronage info and forms be placed online
or can you supply a contact email address?

Secondly, the About webpage waxes eloquently on the Tragedy of the Commons
and proffers Open Source as saviour.  I disagree: if software doesn't have
a GPL-compatible licence, it is vulnerable to languishing and attrition.
Open Source can be proprietary as Sun has shown, and BSD licensed works
have been taken up by Microsoft-like entities and forked away.
It seems to me that the spirit of your mission is embodied better by
the Free Software philosophy, so why not embrace it openly?

Cheers,

--
Krishna E. Bera
<keb at cyblings.on.ca>