[advocacy] dadio and ogg question-

Jack Moffitt jack
Wed Oct 17 10:28:28 PDT 2001

> On the surface, the answer is simple: It shouldn't, because OGG files won't
> have DRM in them.

Correct.

> Under the surface, another answer occurs to me: what if the OS is set so
> that no files can be transferred off the device, as is the case with the
> Nokia cellphone/mp3 player, that only allows sharing of AAC, or players that
> only allow monoaural low bitrate mp3s off the device?

The DRM afaik is only for the WMA files.  There is no DRM built into the
device other than for those.

The device looks like a normal harddrive in windows and in linux, and
you can copy any files on or off without any restriction.  I think DRM
only affects playback for WMA, not copying.

> With HipZip, the answer isn't so scary, because there's removable media that
> I ought to be able to read and write to outside of the player. But what
> about the other Dadio equipped devices?

I'm not sure.  Perhaps segher can comment on this.

jack.