[advocacy] Open source and business (was Open/Free/Personal music licenses)

Bacchus Thirteen bacchus_t at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 03:05:02 PST 2001

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:

First, thank you for the information.

Daniel, as I thought, I think your interests are quite
different from EFF or GNU.  The are non-profit
organization:  They can speak for the rights but not
for the profit of the artists.  Therefore, it is very
natural of them not to list Personal License.

I think it is good for your interest to talk to
MP3.com or those who trying to do the similar thing on
the net.       I think you think you need rich
individual artists to promote and protect Personal
License.  (If not, I am sorry.  You can speak for
yourself!)  However, Open source cannot be set into
practice without profit-making companies.  Individuals
can only decide but which companies should they
choose.

I am sorry if it sounds like 'Aha!  I knew that.'
However, there must have been being companies, which
are seeking for gathering artists interests and ways
to make good use of the net, Vorbis and P2P as you can
see in the users' list.

Jack's recommendation: www.downslam.com

At 15:07:38 PST on Thu 22 Nov 2001 J.A. Bezemer
(J.A.Bezemer at opensourcepartners.nl) wrote:

>This mail is NOT intended to discuss reasons,
>feasibility, or profitability. We don't know at all
if >we'll ever have the courage to turn theory into
>practice.

We need those people to let the theories or
discussions in practice.  I do not think there is no
need for discussions since 'politically correct-ness'
sells and defends better.  Therefore, we need to have
good contact with them as long as they are politically
correct and not imitating patent-abusing companies.

In my generation, pure political theories as in 60 or
70's are never popular.  On the other hand, we saw
pure business in 80 and 90's.  Therefore, we are in
front of the mess they left.  The net can combine the
both of them and probably make something new out of
it.  It might be some thing at the same time, it would
be the mess again.  Let's see if there some thing
which is better than the mess can come up.  Even if we
fail, how can we be blamed from the previous
generations by making the mess out of their mess?

Jack or Daniel, how about making directories for those
'politically correct' business sites as 'open source
partners' or so?  Or have you got better ideas to
promote them?