[advocacy] Open source and business (was Open/Free/Personal music licenses)

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Nov 26 03:51:53 PST 2001

> Daniel, as I thought, I think your interests are quite
> different from EFF or GNU.  The are non-profit
> organization:  They can speak for the rights but not
> for the profit of the artists.  Therefore, it is very
> natural of them not to list Personal License.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that in the case of GNU. RMS told me
he thinks the Personal Music Licence is OK, and he's never had any
objection to people being paid for 'free' stuff - remember it's free
speech, not free beer that he's interested in. He sold tapes of emacs
to make a modest living, in the days before he was famous enough to
win awards and earn fees on the lecture circuit.

As for the EFF position, I don't think it will appeal to musicians.
There needs to be a recognition that the content industry is
historically different from the software industry, and that musicians
have suffered financially. Having just said that, if Bill Gates is
Eric Clapton, then whoever wrote the TCP/IP stack that ended up in
Windows must be Elmore James.

> However, Open source cannot be set into
> practice without profit-making companies.

Perhaps it needs the promotion that only commercial companies can
afford, in order to be heard amongst the loud hype of the proprietary
services.

> Jack's recommendation: www.downslam.com

Interesting licencing, but personally I'd like my music to be
downloadable at high quality. This service archives MP3's at
AM-radio-like bitrates.

> Therefore, we need to have
> good contact with them as long as they are politically
> correct and not imitating patent-abusing companies.

Or artist-abusing companies...

> Jack or Daniel, how about making directories for those
> 'politically correct' business sites as 'open source
> partners' or so?  Or have you got better ideas to
> promote them?

I'd really like to see an Ogg Vorbis portal, although that would be a
lot of work and of questionable financial viability. Better would
be an .ogg filter on Google. It can already search inside PDF's for
text and search for images - it should be feasible to select 'Audio
search' and then list results by the contents of the comment tags. We
can only suggest it...

Does anyone have contact information for Chuck D of Public Enemy? I
believe he is very interested in net music technologies and
countering artist exploitation.

Daniel