[advocacy] Open/Free/Personal music licenses

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Nov 22 03:43:42 PST 2001

> thing must have advantages and disadvantages, which
> are decided by our interests.

Can we spell out the advantadges for artists of making Faustian
bargains with the content industry? Celebrity mostly, and you get to
keep some of the money you've made. Even the most rich and famous
artists complain about lack of control over their own work.

> 'Could you show us the list of useful information on
> the net' on licenses for musicians?

http://www.eff.org/cafe/ is one place to start.

See http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/
for the EFF's Open Audio License. It's a bit long and complicated and
doesn't reserve commercial exploitation to the artist, which I think
is a mistake in the music industry context. They haven't posted a
link to the Personal Music Licence despite my request.

I also asked for a link to the Personal Music Licence at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses
but no joy yet. It does include a link to the Design Science License,
which I find far too complicated.

There's also http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml which has the
limitation that you can't charge for copies. The Personal Music
Licence says you can't charge for copies without the permission of
the artist, which is a very different concept.

Daniel