[advocacy] Open/Free/Personal music licenses

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Tue Nov 20 08:03:47 PST 2001

> Musicians need to feel their music is not
> abused for commercial purpose

I'm not sure that's on offer from the content industry

> and music fans are sure
> that we are paying to musicians for what they offered
> us.

I think it was Beale Screamer who said 'Bo Diddley didn't have
anything to fear from his fans, but he had a lot to fear from Leonard
Chess'. The best article I've read on the subject remains the one by
Steve Albini:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

> Our generation is very suspicious of any
> kind of propaganda.

I don't think Albini has anything to gain by upsetting record label
executives. He is an artist in his own right as well as a producer.

If SSSCA passes, will the Ogg Vorbis developers add proprietary
rights management systems to the format? Will they leave the USA, or
become outlaws like Sklyarov has?

Daniel