[advocacy] vorbis portal?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Tue Aug 28 08:49:56 PDT 2001

> Are there any plans to make vorbis.com a portal for .ogg files in the
> same way that mp3.com is, or better? No disrespect to the artists
> that have already provided files, but I'd expect that some exclusive
> releases by well-known artists could really help with .ogg adoption.
> I'd be happy to help with this if anyone is interested.

We don't have the manpower to run an effective portal, unfortunately.
We do however have semi-exclursive releases from well known artists.
I"ll be putting up a track from the upcoming Mixmaster Mike CD and some
others, courtesy of our friends at Moonshine.

> An alternative would be to partner with Google to provide a new
> search option which could look inside .ogg files and index the tag
> information. That would reach .ogg files all over the net and not
> just those on the 'official' site.

A neat idea, but I doubt google would do this out of fear of litigation.

jack.