[xiph-rtp] about theora-over-rtp draft

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Jul 21 02:15:07 PDT 2006

Rhys Hawkins wrote:

> I agree that it would make things more complicated. You would need extra fields
> in the headers to describe from where a particular chunk of theora data starts
> from, eg macroblock or groupofblocks number.

Not really.

> It would also require modification
> to libtheora to support partial frame decoding.

Out of the scope of the draft...

> It doesn't seem to me that
> there is an easy short term solution.

That's why I didn't put any constraint about how to fragment and assumed
the worst case about default behaviour.

> However, I believe that the benefits in
> terms of robustness to packet loss would outway the costs in terms of complexity.

Theora gives its best at low bitrates, so you shouldn't expect really
expect long chains of theora fragments.

I'm afraid that just real life situation will tell us if having a finer
fragment rule would improve the situation.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC