[xiph-rtp] about theora-over-rtp draft

Rhys Hawkins rhys.hawkins at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 20 23:36:18 PDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 02:38:08 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> Rhys Hawkins wrote:
>

> > The "lost one - lost everything" approach will work on the local network, but
> > not over wide area multicast (for example), and I'm not interested in sending
> > video to the computer next to me (and I'd be surprised if anybody was:)
> >

> Well, I could relax the rule but I don't like at all the idea of making
> the spec more complex.

I agree that it would make things more complicated. You would need extra fields
in the headers to describe from where a particular chunk of theora data starts
from, eg macroblock or groupofblocks number. It would also require modification
to libtheora to support partial frame decoding. It doesn't seem to me that
there is an easy short term solution. However, I believe that the benefits in
terms of robustness to packet loss would outway the costs in terms of complexity.

Cheers,
    Rhys