[xiph-rtp] Interesting post on AVT list

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 6 11:16:29 PDT 2005

Aaron Colwell wrote:

> If the 1k limit is only for SAP, then perhaps we should revisit the
idea of
> putting the codebooks in the SDP. He explicitly calls out RTSP and SIP
which
> are the 2 main control protocols we are talking about here. Multicast
could
> still just use the inline transmission mechanism.

Only for the cases in which the codebook aren't known before the stream
start. If you pass all the codebooks in the SDP every client will know
it at the session start.

> This solves the reliable delivery problem since the SDP must be reliably
> transmitted from the server to the client. This would require that all
> codebooks be known at SDP generation time. I'm pretty sure we've
already agreed
> to that constraint though.

We can even relax that constraint allowing offband and/or inband
retransmissions, not sure if it worth the complexity at this point since
most of the current target implementations are covered, I do hope.

> Comments?

I suggested that way long ago, but then somebody pointed me the 1k
constraint to SDP, it that doesn't applies to us I'm quite happy.

lu

PS: I'll try to update the rfc having that vector as default and
suggested and I'd let the others as discouraged.

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero