[xiph-rtp] Interesting post on AVT list

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Tue Sep 6 08:26:39 PDT 2005

The following link points to a post by the AVT chair.

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05831.html

If the 1k limit is only for SAP, then perhaps we should revisit the idea of
putting the codebooks in the SDP. He explicitly calls out RTSP and SIP which
are the 2 main control protocols we are talking about here. Multicast could
still just use the inline transmission mechanism.

This solves the reliable delivery problem since the SDP must be reliably
transmitted from the server to the client. This would require that all
codebooks be known at SDP generation time. I'm pretty sure we've already agreed
to that constraint though.

Comments?

Aaron