[xiph-rtp] speex realtime implementation status

Wed Feb 23 13:58:55 PST 2005

There's an RTP draft, which you can find at
http://www.speex.org/drafts/draft-herlein-speex-rtp-profile-02.txt

As you said, Ogg is definitely not adapted to that application. About
network reliability, the conversation is usually intelligible with up to
20-30 percent packet loss (with of course obvious degradation).

	Jean-Marc

Le mercredi 23 février 2005 à 16:21 -0500, Kevin Webb a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a internet audio art project and would like to
> incorporate the Speex codec if possible. However, for our application
> we're looking at doing streaming over UDP on a fairly unreliable
> connection and would like to be able to use the RTP payload format - I
> don't thin OGG encapsulation will be ideal.
>
> Is there any implementation out there (even one underdevelopment) that
> implements the RTP spec?
>
> If not do you have any recommendations about how I might be able to make
> Speex work over a low-speed, intermittent UDP connection?
>
> Also just to explain a bit more, we're putting two Mini-ITX boxes on two
> university buses (at Duke University in the US) and using that to create
> a two way audio feed that allows riders to have conversations with folks
> on the other bus... It should be pretty nifty. The only problem is that
> in our area we're limited a Sprint PCS GPRS connection for data service.
> That gives us on average about 70kbps and at worst about 10-20kbps in
> each direction. It's fairly intermittent - which is ok as long as the
> stream can recover from lost packets.
>
> Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also we pretty
> comfortable working with your code so if there's anything we can do to
> help with development of the RTP let me know. Our only real issue is
> time - we're hoping to install in April.
>
> Thanks!
> Kevin

Jean-Marc Valin <Jean-Marc.Valin at USherbrooke.ca>
Universite de Sherbrooke