[xiph-rtp] header caching and chaining

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Apr 11 10:13:50 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:20:15AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:

> What about just map the codebook ident to the file to fetch from the url?
> that way would be quite easy have it as
>
> myhandler://mysite/myfile/codebookident
>
> in the sdp you can just provide the myhandler://mysite/myfile/ part and
> the client can figure it out from the ident in the rtp packet or just
> fetch all and cache.

That was the substance of Aaron's proposal for the case when you don't
know the headers you're going to use in advance.

> Since you told me that the rfc would be JUST for rt,p I'd like to have a
> simple reference about out of band codebook delivery methods and not
> specify them since in different cases you may have more effective or
> less effective way to provide them.

We'll need to document the various recommended header retrieval
mechanisms, yes.

> > Question: if you've streaming theora+vorbis using this scheme, can you
> > use the same url for both headers and just put up a multiplexed Ogg
> > file? That would make it *really* easy.
>
> That would add the requirement of adding ogg dependency on the client.
> vorbis-rtp has one container, rtp, no need to add others.

So you'd prefer raw retrieval of the individual headers?

Note that the code to just split out the packet data from an Ogg stream
is only a couple of pages; it's not a large dependency compared to, say,
an http client.

 -r