[xiph-rtp] editing format

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Thu Oct 21 03:05:40 PDT 2004

Hi xiph-rtp people,

I have a suggestions to make about the file format in which we edit the RTP I-Ds.

Editing documents such as
  http://speex.org/drafts/draft-herlein-speex-rtp-profile-02.txt
or
  http://svn.xiph.org/tags/vorbis/libvorbis-1.1.0/doc/draft-kerr-avt-vorbis-rtp-03.txt
directly in txt format is a pain in the neck, because you have to take care of page breaks, boilerplate, formatting, correct dates etc.

My proposal is therefore to move to using xml2rfc as editing format.
This also the way we're doing it with the Annodex I-Ds (see http://svn.annodex.net/standards/).

Then, there is an xml document pre I-D that contains all the text and is edited and stays in svn.
To create the txt (or even a html) version of the I-D, you run it through xml2rfc (it's in debian), or alternatively use the online interface at http://xml.resource.org/.

What do you think?

I'd volunteer to make the first change from the txt documents to the xml versions.

Cheers,
Silvia.