[xiph-rtp] Re: new RTP development list

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Thu Oct 21 03:03:41 PDT 2004

Zen,

rtp was designed to transport only one codec's bitstream per rtp stream, so speex+theora would be transmitted on 2 different connections and recombine them at the end via the timestamps.

Yet, recently many codecs have defined rtp payload formats for interleaved data to avoid the difficult task of resynchronisation, e.g. the DV over rtp spec (see http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3189.txt).
These are however fixed interleaved, not possible to dynamically combine on the fly.

That's one of the reasons why we are working on Annodex over rtp to get dynamic interleaved payload formats. We're only at the beginning and I'm not sure what problems we'll run into and if it's possible at all. But it would be nice. :)

Silvia.