[xiph-rtp] Re: [Speex-dev] new RTP development list

Phil Kerr phil at plus24.com
Wed Oct 20 09:23:05 PDT 2004

Hi Tor,

Regarding metadata I was talking to Ralph earlier today about the new
Wiki pages and I think we are roughly in sync with ideas, here's what
we were talking about:

>> Ok, I've seen your comments about the metadata streams.  There are
>> essentially three choices, using a custom metadata packet type (makes
>> the stream handling slightly more complex as you will have to
>> filter-out packets, but everything is together), RTCP (which the IETF
>> may be slightly iffy about but if the bandwidth used to send the
>> messages is small it might be ok) or using a completely separate RTP
>> stream.
>
> Yeah. I don't really like overloading writ for subtitles. Our general
> idea was always to do RDF+dublin core based metadata. It's just that
> the XML encoding kind of sucks, so I kept waiting for that to get
> better.
> I've been waiting 3 years now. :)
>
> If I had to just do something that worked, I'd just do length-encoded
> string triplets. Not standard at all, but straightforward RDF.
>
> CMML is another option; I believe CSIRO is working on an RTP format.
>
>> Option 3 might require more thought as metadata could be part of
>> OggWrit.  I know there was a RTP text I-D being worked on and it might
>> be best to see if we can piggy-back on this instead of re-writing a
>> fresh I-D (unless it is needed).
>
> Yeah, I'd be happy to adopt something else, assuming it doesn't suck.

So, for Vorbis-RTP, the plan seems to be use only one set of codebooks
for the session duration, making it possible to set them via SDP.

In -03 I described a basic mechanism for codebook caching which should
be ok, but please have a look and rip it apart for any potential
problems.

I think the biggest issue is how to handle metadata.  To an extent
option one I described above (in stream with a different packet-type)
would make it more compact.  Option two is probably not the best but it
does use an existing infrastructure (RTCP) so it is easy to implement.

If option three seems the best way forward should we make this
something generic across all of the Xiph bitstreams, so it can be
reused?

Another question is how reliable does the the transport of the metadata
need to be?  It's not as vital to stream decoding as the codebooks so I
don't think it needs to be transported over a reliable connection such
as TCP.

-P

ps.  Minor point; should the reply-to field be set to xiph-rtp?  I've
been caught out a few times replying to a list and it's gone to one
person only by mistake :)