[xiph-rtp] Re: [Speex-dev] new RTP development list

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Wed Oct 20 08:27:24 PDT 2004

Tirsdag, 19 oktober 2004, skrev Ralph Giles :

>So, like I said, join the list if you want to help hammer out the
details.

Yeah, I joined the list, but there was no traffic there, so I thought
I'd ask. The preffered solution for me would be something like this:

- Replace the identification and comment header with appropriate
SDP fields. Most attributes from these headers have a matching standard
SDP field anyway, the rest can be covered by Vorbis specific extension.

- Allow or recommend a separate meta data RTP stream (CMML based
or whatever) to minimize the need for chaining. At the moment, Ogg
chaining is mostly used to allow pseudo in-stream comment headers.

- Define a separate data source for the setup header in the SDP descriptor.
For unicast streams, this may just as well be a HTTP URL, for multicast,
a separate RTP stream should be continuously streaming the setup
header, allowing the client to join and leave the multicast session
as required.

I already implemented a rough proof-of-concept client using this
approach for unicast streams. I didn't add RTSP or SDP support, so
the client is taking some data from a provided configuration file,
some data is exchanged with the server using a proprietary TCP based
protocol for session control and some stream attributes are hard
coded in the client, but at least the RTP stream seem to work and
the setup header is loaded from the configured HTTP URL. If you're
interested, you can take a look here:

http://www.j-ogg.de/rtp/index.html

Tor